Vegan & Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Almond Butter Cookies

18:36




"Document the moments you feel most in love with yourself - what you're wearing, who you're around, what you're doing. Recreate and repeat."
- Warsan Shire

My very first diary was a product of boredom at the tender age of five. I still remember the purple notebook my mum got me, I think, for the purpose of practising my alphabets. But, nay, I decided to string my words together and create what I meant to be meaningful sentences describing my worries and triumphs at what I thought was a big girl's age. 

I remember writing about not being like other girls because I hated wearing dresses (ironically enough, I LOVE dresses now that I'm in my 20s), preferring my denim shorts and runners. I even included the "perfect" dress for me, which was really just a sleeveless thing that hit below the knees because I thought if it was longer, then maybe the other girls would think I have some kind of princess vibe going on. Don't ask. My five year-old logic was definitely flawed. 

But the writing continued. At times, so fervently. At others, almost like El Nino because of writing drought. I've lost a lot of those journals, but I keep a few now and it saddens me to see that I write more often when: 1) I'm crushed by agonising misery, 2) there's somehow a boyman involved, or 3) my smile reaches my ears because my world is at peace. Obviously, I need more of the third point in my journals to uplift my general mood and when I do read these entries again, I want to be reminded of the great things in my life. 

Here's a preview of what I've written throughout the years. (Side note: I don't start with "Dear Diary". I've always addressed my diary as "Liv," derived from the Scandinavian word meaning "life". How appropriate is that?)

October 30, 2012
Aren't you proud of me? I do realise I don't have it "good" (as the saying goes) as most of the people I know, but I'm managing to hang in there, teeth and nails and all. Strive

(At 23, I thought I needed it all figured out... I'm 27 now and I still don't have much figured out. Freaking out only a little bit.) 

March 15, 2013
I'm the happiest of girls right now! [...] I'm all jelly inside, really. I can't stop smiling. It's happening! [...]
P.S. I think my heart is ready to burst. 

(That one time I fancied myself in love.)

April 2, 2013
I really should never get excited for anything ever again. 

(I can't stop laughing at this because my entry was literally just that one sentence and I can't for the life of me decipher what it's about...)

One Saturday, September 2013
Amsterdam, BABY!!!

(Nothing more to say.)

November 29, 2014
It's been a while, I know. The past few months have been a whirlwind. And not of the good nor exciting kind. I feel as if I'm being thrown around a room with sharp edges. Or being pushed down a rocky cliff. Or drowned in ice cold waters. I'm aware that all these horrible experiences are bound to teach me some lesson, to make me stronger and more resilient, to be of some use to me one day. [...]. Right now, right this moment, all I can do is wallow in self-pity. It's not brave. 

(What happens when you work in audit and your personal life goes up in flames.) 

Sometimes, I draw, too. But I always eat. 

September 25, 2015
Last day as a 25 year-old. It seems like time just flew by. This year has been a nightmare, but it had its highs, too. Nonetheless, I'm grateful. 

Flying home from Barcelona. Currently on my second to the last plane ride today. Almost home. And how else did I spend this day? By holding hands under a blanket and flirting with a stranger. Mon dieu. 

[...]

Twenty six. The age when my mother married. An age when most women are already thinking of the possibility of settling down in the near future. Age when you should be making smarter choices. But I'm not there. I've barely made it out of my eggshell. It's just sandcastles now. 

(I dunno. Obviously you can blame a few factors here. High altitudes. Turning a year older. Or perhaps I'm just that crazy. Don't judge me. TBH, I had one of the most intellectually stimulating and interesting conversations with that stranger. I won't say anything about his hands. Bye!)

February 19, 2016
I love you daddy. 

(The day my dad passed away.)

December 1, 2016
But it's finally December! How fast time flies! It's like only yesterday I was cancelling on [guy's name withheld] and working a lot at [company name withheld]. Shit. 

(Truth bomb: If we're dating, there's a slight chance I'll forget we're even together. Fail. Big one. Don't feel bad for the guy; he found someone who won't let him go so easily. It also has happened more than once. I'm working on these issues.) 

Okay, I just realised this went on forever so I'll transition ever so gracefully (not) to the recipe. Due to boredom and the fact that I just have too many gluten-free flours in my pantry (gluten-free blend, gluten-free oat, brown rice, almond, coconut, chickpea, etc.), I've been baking up a storm. It just felt like my weekend needed cookies, chocolate and almond butter for the kicks. I've seen a few recipes online, but it's so much more fun sometimes when you try and perhaps have a beautiful mess. 

Can't stop, won't stop at one.

Vegan & Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Almond Butter Cookies
Makes 12-18 cookies (depending on size)

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup gluten-free oat flour
  • 1/2 cup gluten-free flour blend
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1/2 cup vegan butter *
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar or 3/4 cup coconut sugar **
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 flax/chia egg (1 tbsp ground flax, 3 tbsp of water)
  • Big handful of Enjoy Life Foods Mega Chocolate Chunks
  • Almond butter

In a medium bowl, cream together vegan butter and sugar of choice. When softened, add vanilla and flax/chia egg. Mix properly.

Add in flours used, baking powder and salt. Mix until well incorporated. Fold in chocolate chips.

Chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350F at this time and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.

When ready, scoop a tablespoon of cookie dough and flatten a bit. Press a small well in the middle of the cookie dough and add almond butter. Pinch the dough to cover.

Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden.***

Enjoy! xx

Notes:
* I used Earth Balance butter spread (not the stick) as this was available to me. I think either one would work.
** The sweetness would not be overwhelming (which is what you want because you have chocolate and almond butter here). Either one would do the job, but with brown sugar, the cookie will be chewier (crispier edges and chewy middle).
*** I baked my cookies for 12 minutes and they came out soft with crispier edges.





`



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

E-mail : heartyspoonful@gmail.com

Flickr Images